01 Jul Ten Steps to Healthy Eating
By Dr Gordon McPherson-Rayner, Chiropractor.
Finding what is healthy to eat is one of the hardest things to do in today’s society. We are pressured with positive and negative food messages every day. To try and cut through the noise, we have ten simple steps to help you start eating a more healthy diet today.
- Eat real food first. Quality is very important. If it has a bar code it is most likely not real food!
- Eat protein with every meal. Go for healthy sources of beef, pork, lamb, chicken, turkey, wild game, eggs, and wild fish.
- Eat vegetables. Cooked is better than raw.
- Increase quality fat intake, especially fats from healthy animal sources, pastured butter, ghee, coconut oil, avocado, minimal nuts, seeds and olive oil. Avoid highly processed seed and grain oils.
- Remove grains and legumes. Most grains and legumes do not provide nutrients that we cannot get from other sources and when consumed in large quantities may trigger the gut irritating and negative anti-nutrient effects.
- Remove sugar. It is a toxic substance and should be avoided or consumed in very small quantities. This includes high fructose corn syrup, fruit juice, soda and packaged foods. Fruit is still a sugar and should be consumed based on your goals and in moderation.
- Earn your carbs! What are you training goals? Carbs are best consumed in the post-training window and from non-gut irritating sources like sweet potatoes, yams and squashes.
- Take essential supplements. Your diet may be lacking certain items to meet your requirements and may require supplementation to in the gaps. Omega 3 saturation, vitamin D optimization and probiotic use for gut health.
- Dairy is a grey area. For the most part, stick to butter and cream (raw if possible) avoiding the dairy proteins in milk products which may be allergenic to many and have other known issues.
- Stop counting calories! No animal counts calories so you shouldn’t either!
To learn more about how to eat a healthier diet, come along to our nutrition workshop being held at the Organic Pantry on Saturday 11 July from 3pm. To reserve you please to attend, please call the Practice on 4779 1604.